2011 was another great year for BikeArlington! We've continued to grow in a number of ways: events like Bike to Work Day and have had remarkably increased attendance, our followers, friends and fan across multiple social media platforms continues to grow and even our staff size has increased. Over the next ten days we'll be blogging about some of our favorite accomplishments from 2011. Check back daily to check out what we've been up to over the past year!
10 Surprising Facts About People Who Bike in Arlington
BikeArlington recently employed the Southeastern Institute of Research to conduct a study of both bikers and non-bikers in Arlington County to gain a better understanding of the impact of our services. This study highlights the impact we are making in the county and how we are making it easier, safer and more convenient for everyone to bike around Arlington County.
Here are a few key findings:
- 83% of respondents bike a couple of times a week or more.
- Exercise and recreation are frequent reasons people cite for why they bike; additionally, younger adults see biking as a way to save money.
- The multi-use trails are frequently used by bikers and 81% of people are satisfied with these trails.
- 75% of respondents bike for all or part of their commute.
- 74% of those surveyed report their employers offer assistance, information or facilities that encourage biking to work.
- Showers on site and connections to bike lanes or multi-use trails can entice people to begin biking to work or to bike more often.
- Sharing the road with drivers, especially aggressive and inattentive drivers, is the biggest safety concern reported.
- Awareness of BikeArlington is high, with 77% of respondents reporting they are aware of the agency.
- 79% of those who have used BikeArlington are satisfied with the services they provide.
- 47% of respondents say that since they started using BikeArlington services, they have either begun biking or increased their trips made by bike.
The full results of the survey will be released to the public soon and we'll let you know here when they are. Check back in tomorrow to see the next post on our favorite accomplishments of 2011!
BikeArlington is an initiative of Arlington County, Virginia to encourage and enable more people to go by bike more often. To stay up to date on biking in Arlington, follow BikeArlington on Twitter or visit the Washington Area Bike Forum.