Have you made plans yet to participate in World Car Free Day on September 22? A couple weeks ago we discussed info about events taking place on World Car Free Day and the tools available region-wide to help you take part (Do Your Part on World Car Free Day September 22, August 21, 2008). And now we've just added a bunch of new partners in Arlington who are providing discounts to World Car Free Day participants.
Lets recap the events and incentives from last time:
- Free Ride on Arlington Transit. Ready to reap the rewards of a car-free lifestyle? Take the Car-Free Diet Challenge and you can download a coupon for a free ART ride. The coupon is good for a ride on any ART bus on September 22 only. Owning a Car. Do two, and you’ll get a coupon for a free “I lost 2,000 lbs in one day” t-shirt as well!”
- Clarendon WalkAbout. We invite you to come out for a fun, family-friendly WalkAbout through the streets of Clarendon starting at 6:30 pm. It’s a great opportunity to see and learn about the historical sights, stores and natural beauty of this urban village up close and on foot!
- Confident City Cycling Class. Join the Washington Area Bicyclist Association on World Car-Free Day for this free cycling class at 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 913 in Arlington. The class runs from 4 -6:30 pm with an optional one hour on-road riding practice to follow.
- Free Stuff. When you go to carfreediet.com, make sure you take the Car-Free Diet Challenge, share your Car-Free Diet Story and use the Car-Free Diet Calculator! Do one, and you’ll get a coupon for a free book – the special Arlington Edition of How to Live Well Without Owning a Car. Do two, and you’ll get a coupon for a free “I lost 2,000 lbs in one day” t-shirt as well!”
But wait. There's more!
Now if you take the Car-Free Diet Challenge, in addition to the ART coupon, How to Live Well Without Owning a Car book and the "I Lost 2,000 lbs in one day" t-shirt, you can get a coupon for discounts at local merchants as follows:
- 15% discount on any accessory at Conte's Bicycle and Fitness Equipment in Ballston.
- 15% discount on all food and beverages at The Front Page in Ballston.
- 10% off all parts and accessories and all new tune-ups at winter rates at Revolution Cycles in Clarendon.
- $15 discount off a bicycle tune-up at Papillon Cycles on Columbia Pike.
- 20% discount on any purchase at Olsson's Books & Music at Court House, in Crystal City and at National Airport.
- 10% off any purchase at Cafe Pizzaiolo in Crystal City.
- $10 discount on a one hour massage at The Teal Center for Therapeutic Massage at the Virginia Hospital Center.
- 15% discount on any purchase at Soccer Kicks at 6019 Wilson Boulevard.
- 20% discount off any one item at Scoop Beauregard's Ice Cream and Coffee in Westover.
- Free club pass and a coffee voucher at The Energy Club gym in Shirlington.
- 10% discount on all food at King Street Blues at Court House.
So now there's 11 more reasons why you should Take The Challenge and participate in World Car-Free Day. And don't forget, if you also pledge to be car free at the regional Car Free Day Metro DC website you'll be entered to win an iPod Nano and other prizes AND you can win a year's worth of FREE transit if you pledge to take transit at the Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation's Try Transit website. Also here's a listing of ALL the events and incentives throughout the region.
With all of these incentives and tools there's no excuse to be driving alone on September 22. We have a feeling if you try it once, you'll realize that you can do it more often. We hope to see you on the trains, bikes and buses or sharing the ride on World Car Free Day!